Friday 23 July 2010

Friday is for Fairytales: The Little Mermaid


Friday is for Fairytales is a meme hosted by Irena at This Miss loves to Read. It' simply a post every Friday that is connected to the world of fairytales. It can be anything.... a review, a character description or your own fairytale experience.  For more details on this meme, Check out Irene's first fairytale post: Sleeping Beauty.


Let’s celebrate fairytales and share our love for them. 

My Post is about: The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson

This is one of my favourites and by my favourite fairy tale author. The Little Mermaid was also my first- it introduced me to fairy tales and the world on fantasy properly.
I remember how grown up I felt. It was't me being all hooked on just Disney's versions of fairy tales any more (as much as I do enjoy Disney).

It is the simple tale of unrequited love and the journey to make that love known and reciprocated. What I lurve about it-is the many themes within the story. It's also about self acceptance, and taking a chance even if it means literally being a fish out of water.

I am an island girl and lurve swimming. My swimming skills were pretty good ever since a child. I'm no Olympic champion and am only good at freestyle and whatever moves I whack in myself but was known as the little fish when out with friends or family as child-which was then upgraded to Mermaid. Good times!


I lurve the idea of Merpeople-Half human half finish- the best of two words. It is said we know more about the moon than the sea...so who knows anything's possible.

The Mermaid herself stands out for her purity and nobility. Even when she had the chance to kill the prince and become a mermaid again, she held fast to her truth and met her fate with her head held high.


There are so many adaptations of this tale; from Disney, Splash to Aquamarine (to name a few). But Anderson's version is the one I lurve most. It is of course from this original piece of work that all these versions stem. All others end in true "happily ever after" fashion- the mermaid has her prince. In the original tale by Hans the mermaid does not- she is turned to foam, then transformed into a Daughter of the Air. Too sad an ending some say and sometimes I agree, had he known she was the one who rescued him it would be different.


I lurve this version because it's true to life. Things don't always go the way we want it too but it turns out to be in our favour. She gained eternity. Life is a basket of mixed treats. Some good, bad, downright horrid to the exquisitely pleasant. I believe this tale truly represents that. Therefore it will always have my love and so too the rest of Hans Christian Anderson's work.
I absolutely adore this painting!

3 comments:

Irena @ This Miss Loves to Read said...

Sa Toya, this is such a great post! I also love Andersen's Little Mermaid, and I love what you said about this being a story about self-acceptance. You are totally right! I really enjoyed reading your post and you included BEAUTIFUL pictures, especially the first one, with so many merpeople in the sea. Wow!
Thanks for the post!

Sa Toya said...

Thank Irena, I really like your meme alot!

Andi said...

I'm a fan of this fairy tale, too. It really is something SOOO different from the Disney version. I teach a university English course in Children's Lit (to education majors), and I make a point of always bringing this one to class.