Wednesday 3 March 2010

L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad

Lauren Conrad former queen of MTV's The Hills, took it upon herself to become a mogul and enter the world of writing. I'm not a fan of the show and have ONLY EVER seen 1 1/2 episodes and Speidi made me so ill I couldn't watch anymore...so I was unbiased reading these books. I didn't even think it was based on the show until some friends of mine were busy trying to match characters to their supposedly reality TV counterparts.
Release Date: June 16, 2009
Pages: 352
Publisher: Harper Collins
OVERALL: 

The L.A. Candy is a coming of age story about two best friends Jane and Scarlett. Jane is in L.A. for an internship and she's brought her bff along for the ride. They are then randomly in the company of a producer who wants them to be part of his 'Sex & The City ' esq reality show. Soon she's sucked in to L.A life style and becoming a star. I've been informed it's very similar to what can be seen in the series. Go Figure!

For me it was a BIG disappointment.  I liked the cover...the solitary red heart candy surrounded by all the white ones was very appealing. In fact the cover is what drew me in. The synopsis sounded good as I do enjoy some reality TV shows. The problem is what happens between the covers... it has potential. It ends setting the scene for the second book which is one of it's good points.

That's about it I mean it's worth the read if you're a Hills/LC fan but if you want a book to really get into it's not one!  Will I recommend it? Not willingly.Her writing style is somewhat immature and it was a struggle! Harper Teens published it so I assumed it was mainly aimed towards them which could explain the immaturity in it. Plot wise; original storyline was a little out of reach...a bit of a fail there but not an EPIC one. It has every Hollywood cliché known to man.... BORING! Unless Hollywood is just one big botoxed cliché.

I may be coming off like a lit snob here but her fashion sense is miles better than her writing. I think people only got it hoping for insider secrets to the show. As an outsider to The Hills franchise I  just didn't get it.

Sa Toya ~~

No comments: