Saturday 7 August 2010

Guest Post: Jo S. Wun author of The Jeremy

I am very excited to keep The Snaps of the Jeremy Weekend rolling with my first author guest post a la Jo. I honestly haven't read it myself yet, and won't until I've hit the post button. So I better get with it!


I can honestly say Mr Wun is incredibly funny and very encouraging. He's always there reminding and assuring me to 'pull my finger out' :) and keep it moving. I am very pleased he agreed to a guest post and even though the pic to the right is all that I've seen of him; his work speaks for him and I hope the following will help you want to get to know him and his work better.


So here's Jo:

First off, I'd like to thank Sa Toya for hosting the giveaway of The Jeremy and also for inviting me to write this guest post.

She kindly left it open for me to decide what to write about. Hmmm...I wonder what you'd like to know. Would you like to hear that I'm tall, dark(ish) and handsome, not overly muscular but well-built with a rakish air about me? Well, sorry, if that's what you were hoping, but it doesn't describe me at all. Probably.

That's the marvelous thing about books. You can conjure up pictures in your head based on what you read, and because you are the conjurer, the pictures are, of course, absolutely perfect. I think that's why seeing the 'film of the book' is so often disappointing, because regardless of how true to the plot the film is, what you see on the silver screen is at odds with what's in your head.

So, how do you write a book? Blood, sweat and tears is the phrase that comes to mind. Well okay, maybe not blood, unless you count the occasional nose-bleed brought on by too much rubbing of the bridge of your nose while deep in thought about the characters and the plot. But, at least as far as I'm concerned, it is hard work. Ultimately rewarding, and with highs along the path for sure, but definitely hard work.

It's great when the words are flowing (and you are able to type fast enough to keep up with the flow). Not so great when the words huddle together, hiding in a dark corner of your brain, resolutely refusing to come out in an act of solidarity which is hard to break.

Yeah, you're right. I could have just written "writer's block", but fortunately I'm not suffering from it at the moment so the words are flowing! Which was probably the most stupid thing I could write because now I can't think of what to write next.

Actually, that was a lie. It's one of the things you probably have to do if you write a book of fiction. Lying, through your teeth, that is. You can call it plot or character development if you like, but basically it's making stuff up. But you have to do it well or your readers won't believe what they are reading.

A beautiful lie can sometimes reveal a gem of a truth.

Happy reading.

No comments: